- Use your machines stitch length at its maximum.
- Do not back stitch.
- Stitch one line at 1/4" (0.5cm) from the edge you would like to gather.
- Leave long threads at the end of the stitch.
- Stitch a parallel line at 3/4" (2cm) from the edge.
- Divide your fabric in 4 or 8 parts depending on how long it is. (both the ruffle and the you are sewing the ruffle on to)
- Mark each quarter or eight with a pin.
- Match the pins on the ruffle and the fabric and pin them together.
- You will now have long loops to gather into each section.
- Pull on the long loops to gather the ruffle so that each of the loops fits into each section.
- Adjust the gathers if needed so they are even.
- Change the stitch length back to normal and stitch in between the gathering stitches.
- Remove the gathering stitches.